Saturday 5 September 2015

Ms Dozey’s Daily Diary - 2

It is now Day Six and I have at last had a chance to get the laptop off Neill who likes to write late into the night.  This evening I have commandeered it whilst he is in the shower.

Day Four ended with a visit to Lincoln’s tomb and to the Cozy-Dog.  Thankfully that will be a one-off with its close proximity to the drive-in pharmacy and bank, there is really no need to ever get out of your car.  The Cozy’s clientele were mainly overweight and even my veggie sides of slaw and potato salad were laced with sugar or sweeteners.  There is no healthy option here.
Watching a goods train thunder to the prairie by twilight was a great sight – I think it could pull into Strood station and still be on the platform at Rochester and Chatham it was so long.


Day Five
An emotional meeting at breakfast with a former GI who had trained in England before fighting in France.  I felt very grateful to him for what he had done and could picture him as a young man heading off to war.

Off to St Louis via many roadside sights.  My favourite, triggered by a UK home renovation programme, was the flying saucer pod house from the 60s.  The journey was more comfortable with a cotton shawl folded over the nylon seat covers.  The gas guzzler is averaging 24 mpg at best. On arrival at St Louis we visited the Old Court House to buy tickets for the Arch.  This was not something I was looking forward to as I don’t like heights but someone had to look after Neill.  It was OK but I was glad to get back to ground!

Day Six
A lovely buffet breakfast, a pacey walk to the St Louis Union Station, a quick tour of the Court House and temperatures approaching 95 again.  Although I only brought summer clothes (except for what I wore on the flight), I have now sub-divvied them and put my “winter wardrobe” of the least light weight in a bag under the car seat.  This means my case is lighter to pack and move whist on the road.

A visit to the quirky Jesse James Wax Museum was fun and food for thought as to whether he was killed in 1862 or survived another 80 years or so.  It is an interesting theory and one which would have been definitely solved with DNA and computer ageing today. 
Arrived in Cuba with its superb town murals and picturesque period motel – a change from the comparative luxury of the city hotels (no fridge, microwave, hair dryer, wardrobe for example).  I have put up a makeshift black out curtain as I think it will be super-light early on and we only have venetians.

Off to the BIG rocking chair tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment