Monday 27 October 2014

Yep, still planning!

Proving to be more complicated than I expected and certainly more than I have been used to, on previous tours. You'd think getting me and Ms Dozey across the States would be a lot simpler to plan, than getting 4 blokes on bikes around the UK or Europe. Well, you'd be wrong.

Maybe I/we are making it more complicated? Not sure but having specific 'wants', such as places to stay (El Rancho Hotel, for example), trying to fit lots in yet not be travelling too far each day, are all conspiring to complicate matters.

I've been all through the EZ66 guide now, so the route and sights are all logged. All we have to do now, is break that 2500 miles, into manageable daily chunks, with a few 'rest' (read, non driving) days thrown in. Simples!

Maybe I'm painting a blacker picture than it actually is, we've both done pretty well not to strangle each other, thus far, so that's a positive.

One thing IS for sure. We shan't be bothering with a Mustang. I'm quite settled on the idea of a Toyota Rav4 or similar SUV, though I did have a 'moment', where I was considering buying a 1920s Model T Ford, to make the trip as authentic as possible! Crazy? Not quite so, when you can pick one up (probably no surprise to you yanks), for anything between $11,000 - $15,000. I kid you not Brits. Maybe one for when I'm retired.

Shouldn't be long now before we have something solid to work with, I believe we are pretty close already to deciding how many days we'll be away. I had initially thought 3 weeks (20/21 days). The way it is looking, we'll arrive in LA end of Day 18, so pretty much spot on, allowing a day of sightseeing in LA and a visit to my American chums, Dean & Carol.

Rest assured you'll be the first to know, assuming you've signed up for blog updates, that is ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment