Friday 24 April 2015

Thrill of a lifetime

Or maybe not.

When we arrive in Chicago, we shall have a day and a bit to do our sightseeing. One of the places I definitely want to visit, is Lou Mitchells. I'm hoping that they will be able to squeeze a couple of Limies in for breakfast. And what better way to start your first full day in the Windy City?

For those that don't know, Lou's is a famous Route 66 eatery and has been serving the Chicago population since before the route was created even, from 1923. When I did the route in 2010, I didn't have any layover time, just a couple of hours in the afternoon to visit the Willis Tower, so there was no chance of indulging in some pancakes and corfee at Lou's. This time, we'll hope to rectify that.

Mentioning the Willis Tower, brings me to another visit I'm planning. Like I said, I did the WT before, including standing on the 'Ledge' or skydeck, which is basically a glass box hanging out over the side of the building. I had in mind that Cath, despite her fear of heights, might like to go up the second tallest building in the US but I've recently discovered something different. 360 Chicago is basically the same as Willis, a viewing floor up in the clouds but this one puts a new twist on the Ledge theme, with something called Tilt. What this is, is 8 glass panels, with handles either side, that tilt out hydraulically 30 degrees, thus giving the punters an unforgettable view of the street, a thousand feet below. Now there's no way Cath will do that but if she won't do either the Ledge or Tilt, then we may as well go to the one I haven't already been to, even if it is only the seventh tallest!


The Ledge, Willis Tower

After that, I'm not too sure what we'll be up to. Our hotel overlooks the park and Lake Michigan, so I expect we'll spend some time around there but apart from that, I'm not too sure. I'll maybe check out some Chicago websites and trip advisor, for suggestions or just leave it to Cath. The next day we'll be up early and on the road, once I've picked up the car that is. Course, I should say, up early and on The Route!

Till next time.  

2 comments: